One of the best technological developments in the dental field in the last few decades is digital radiography. With this technology, an x-ray can be produced using an electronic sensor instead of a traditional film. At Creative Dentistry & Medspa, we utilize this modern technology to provide our patients with better preventive dental care. If you are looking for a contemporary office that offers digital x-rays near you, come see us today at our office in Sandy Springs, GA. We provide comprehensive, patient-centric treatment in a comfortable, caring environment.
What Are Digital X-Rays?
Digital x-rays use an electronic sensor and transmit images of the interior of the mouth directly to a computer. Once on the computer, our staff is able to rotate, enhance and zoom in on the images to better identify underlying oral health issues.
Digital x-rays take less time than traditional radiography – most can be completed in under a minute. All you need to do is bite down on a plastic mold and wait while a member of our staff rotates the sensor around your head to create a full image of your mouth.
The Benefits of Digital X-Rays
Besides being easier to take, quicker and more accessible, digital x-rays come with a couple of advantages over traditional film x-rays:
- Digital x-rays reduce patient exposure to radiation significantly while still creating a crystal-clear image.
- Our dentist can view and enlarge the images immediately on a computer, allowing for fast treatment and better chances of catching any anomalies.
- The digital x-rays do not require film processing and thus have a lower environmental impact.
- The x-rays can be done in a shorter period of time, so you spend less time in the office and more time taking care of your oral health.
Some of the problems digital x-rays can detect include:
- Abscesses and cysts
- Cancerous and benign tumors
- Bone loss
- Interior dental infections
- Decay between the teeth
- Developmental abnormalities
Most insurance plans cover digital x-rays under preventive dental care, but there may be limits to how often they are covered. We usually perform digital x-rays during routine dental exams, but not necessarily at every exam. Between preventive x-ray exams, we may need to take x-rays if you are experiencing oral pain or before certain dental treatments.
For more information about digital x-rays, contact us today at Creative Dentistry & Medspa. We can schedule your initial appointment and consultation around your busy schedule and have x-rays completed during your first visit at our office in Sandy Springs, GA. If you have any questions, our staff will be glad to explain the procedure and technology to you.